Frequently Asked Questions

What is this site?
Keep It In The Community helps people suggest Assets of Community Value (ACVs) to their local authority by locating them on a map.
What is an Asset of Community Value?
ACVs are also referred to as Right To Bid. It is a legal definition which allows community groups to nominate places and spaces that are important to local people. If they are approved as Assets of Community Value, the community has the opportunity to bid for them should they come up for sale. You can find out more on Locality's website.
Where do the assets on this site come from?
We gather together submitted and approved ACVs from the official listings of councils in England. Where councils publish their list of assets in a spreadsheet on their website, we can do this automatically. If you are from a council and would like your assets listed, please get in touch.
How do I get in touch with Keep It In The Community?
Here’s our contact page.
What is Keep It In The Community for and not for?
This service is only for listing officially recognised assets of community value, and highlighting contributions from the community that might be considered good candidates for being listed as an ACV. You should not use this site to report problems, complaints or issues with streets or buildings in your community - you might want to use for this instead.
How do I use the site?
After entering a location, you are presented with a map of the surrounding area. You can view assets already submitted in that neighbourhood, or suggest new assets by clicking on the map at the relevant location.
Is it free?
The site is free to use, yes. The FixMyStreet Platform, on which Keep It In The Community is based, is maintained by a registered charity – so if you want to make a contribution, please do.
Can I use Keep It In The Community on my mobile?
Yes, but not as an app. Just access Keep It In The Community via your phone's browser. It works well on any device, adapting to the size of your screen automatically.

Practical Questions

I’m from a council. Where do you send the submissions?
Contact us to find out where reports go. If there is a problem with the email address we are using, please contact us and we'll happily update the address or addresses we use.
I’m from a council, can we have Keep It In The Community on our website?
We can help connect the service more deeply with your own council website – drop us a line.
Do you remove offensive or illegal content?
Keep It In The Community is not responsible for the content and accuracy of material submitted by its users. We reserve the right to edit or remove any problems or updates which we consider to be inappropriate upon being informed by a user of the site.
Why can’t I zoom out more on the reporting map?
We want to keep Keep It In The Community locally focused, so restrict the ability to move radically between areas. The map on Your Submissions will let you see all the reports you’ve made, wherever they are. If you’re from a council, then the emailed version of the submitted asset may also contain the closest road or postcode to the pin on the map.

Organisation Questions

Who built Keep It In The Community?
Keep It In The Community was built on the FixMyStreet Platform, both developed by mySociety.
Do you need any help with the project?
With the underlying FixMyStreet Platform, we can use help in all sorts of ways, technical and non-technical. Please see our GitHub page.
I’d like a site like this for my own location/ where’s the "source code" to this site?
The software behind this site is open source, and available to you mainly under the GNU Affero GPL software license. You can download the source code and help us develop it. You’re welcome to use it in your own projects, although you must also make the source code to any such projects available to others.